4 February, 2016
Snow White Cake – Donauwelle or Schneewittchenkuchen
This cake has different names in Germany. In east Germany it is known as Schneewittchenkuchen – Snow White Cake. In West Germany it is known as Donauwelle – Danube-wave.
It is a simple cake with a German butter cream and a shortening chocolate glaze.
It takes some time to make it, but everyone loves it, because it is fruity and juicy.
Please accept YouTube cookies to play this video. By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
- 400g flour
- 200g sugar
- 250g butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 eggs
- cook a stiff custard pudding by using
- 500ml of milk
- 1 package pudding powder or you can use 40g of custard powder. This depends on the custard product you use. Take about double amount of custard powder as said on the package for 500g milk.
- Add 2 tbsp of sugar to it, if you like.
- 250g Butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 85g shortening
- 2 eggs
- For the cake add all ingredients in a mixer. If you use a hand mixer you have to whisk the butter with the sugar and then add the eggs followed by the flour & baking powder and the milk)
- Put half of the dough on a deep baking pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the remaining half and add this on top of the whit dough in the pan.
- Add cherries (about 350gr) and spread them on top of the dough.
- Bake for about 30 min at 180 C.
- For the Cream cook a custard from the powder, milk and sugar. Let cool down to room temperature and put the butter next to it so it gets to the same temperature as the custard,. This is very important, that butter and custard have the same temperature before you proceed.
- Sift the custard
- mix the butter in a mixer until it is white creamy
- add the sifted custard spoon by spoon. Do not over-mix when all custard is added.
- Spread custard on baked and cooled cake
- For the glace melt the shortening and let cool down again.
- mix cacao and sugar and add the shortening
- add one egg after an other to the mixture until it became a thick and creamy.
- Spread on top of the cream on the cake.
- Let the cake rest over night in the fridge and then cut into pieces.