22 May, 2016
Spreewaldgurken – Gherkins
In late summer it is time to look out for some gherkins. I got some at the local pick your own and picked a bucket full of them. Now they need to get preserved in jars.
This Recipe is a traditional recipe from the “Spreewald”. Spreewaelder Essiggurken are famous in Germany and much loved.
This recipe uses sugar together with salt and vinegar to preserve them. The amount of sugar varies but is essential. This is a recipe with a low amount of sugar, compared to other I have.
For this Recipe you need:
About 3 kg gherkins,
500 g sugar
65 g salt (as a minimum)
1 liter vinegar (min 10% acid)
5 liter water
some spice like
you can add Gloves, Dill seeds, Coriander seeds and chili’s as well.
If you have, put some fresh dill in it as well
If you like to have them more sour, increase vinegar and reduce water by the same amount.
This makes about 10 jars – size 1 liter
Bring the liquids, sugar, salt and spices to a boil and let cool down for 1-2 hours.
Put the gherkins in the jars and add onions and bay leaves ( and dill if you get). Fill up with the spice, vinegar mixture and close the jars.
Put in preheated oven at 100 C (212 F) for 20-30 minutes.
The finished jars have to rest for at least a week or two until ready to eat.
- About 3 kg gherkins,
- 500 g sugar
- 65 g salt
- 1 liter vinegar (min 10% acid)
- 5 liter water
- some spice like
- Mustard seeds
- All Spice
- Pepper Corn
- Bay leaves
- you can add Gloves, Dill seeds, Coriander seeds and chili’s as well.
- If you have put some fresh dill in it as well
- wash the gherkins and put in jars with onions and fresh dill (if you have)
- cook the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and all spices and let cool down again.
- Fill the jars with the liquid and close them tight.
- Preheat oven to 100 C (212 F) an place the cold jars in the oven for 30-45 minutes. (if the jars are warm from the filling, reduce the time to 20-30 min)