26 June, 2016
Rhubarb cake with custard cream and crumble
Yesterday on the Saturday Market I got some fresh rhubarb and I thought to make a juicy creamy crumbled cake with it.
There are so many recipes for rhubarb cakes but I want it to be like my grandmas cake. It was not so sweet, and I like the sourness of the rhubarb. But it was creamy as well with a shortbread like crust. And on the top some tasty vanilla crumbles.
Without having my grandmas recipe I had to start making my own one.
And here it is.
First I washed the rhubarb and cut it in small pieces, and added sugar to it so it get some juice from it. This took about 3 hours
Then I prepared short pastry but added some baking powder to it. This makes it more crisp and not so hard.
While this was pre-baking for 8 minutes, I prepared a custard pudding.
I used the juice from the rhubarb and filled it up with some milk to get the right amount of liquid for my custard. Once this was cooled down I added about 100 gr of yogurt a tablespoon of butter and 2 eggs.
After the pastry cooled down a bit the custard came into the tin and the rhubarb on top.
This I topped with some Almond Vanilla crumble.
The result is very satisfying. Next time I will take some less liquid for my custard, so it is more stiff, just a little bit. The recipe below reflects this already.
- For the Fruit filling
- about 700g fresh rhubarb
- 50 g sugar
- for the short pastry
- 250 g plain flour
- 60 g sugar
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- for the custard
- all juice from the rhubarb
- milk to fill up to 400g in total liquid
- 35 g custard powder or one package vanilla pudding
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50 g yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- for the crumble
- 150g plain flour
- 60 gr ground almonds
- 2 tsp ground vanilla or 2 vanilla beans
- 125g butter
- 100 g sugar
- wash the rhubarb and cut the green top and the white bottom off.
- cut in small pieces about 1/2 cm thick
- add sugar and mix well
- let rest for some time, about 2-3 hours
- mix all ingredients in a mixer to a smooth dough.
- take a 26cm (10 inch) baking tin and outlay with baking paper
- take 2/3 of the dough for the bottom
- form a long roll out of the 1/3 of the dough and form the side of the cake out of it.
- take a fork and prick the bottom several times
- Bake at 175C (347F) for 8-10 minutes. The dough shout rise a bit but should not puff.
- take all of the rhubarb jiuce and fill up to 400g with milk
- heat up 300g of the milk juice mixture
- mix the custard powder with the remaining milk-juice and add to the boiling milk.
- cook until thick and let cool down
- Once cooled down add the yogurt and the eggs. Add some more vanilla flavor if you like.
- add all ingredients to a bowl and mix till combined well and crumble develop.
- Take the cooled down crust and add the vanilla cream.
- place the drained rhubarb on top
- spread the crumble on top of the rhubarb
- bake at 175C (347F) for 30 to 40 minutes till the crumble are lightly brown.