3 July, 2016
Grandma’s Marble Cake
When I visited my Grandma she always had some cake and most often a simple marble cake.
This is an easy recipe that always works. Classic baked in a bread loaf tin. You can glaze this with a simple sugar-lemon mix or with chocolate or simply covered with a little bit of icing sugar.
- White dough
- 250g butter unsalted
- 125 g sugar
- 5 eggs
- vanilla extract
- lemon peel grated
- 400g all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- some milk
- For the dark dough
- 2 tbsp dark cacao
- 1 tbsp sugar
- some milk
- pre heat oven to 175C (345F) then mix the butter in a bowl until soft and lightly creamy
- add sugar, vanilla and lemon and mix well until creamy
- add eggs one by one and mix well after adding each egg until well incorporated.
- sift flour and baking powder and add 1/2 of it to the creamy butter mixture
- Add some milk, about 1-2 tbsp.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix until all incorporated. Do not over mix.
- butter and flour a tin an put 1/4 of the dough in the bottom.
- Mix cacao and sugar with some milk to a stiff mixture.
- add 1/2 of the remaining dough to the cacao mixture and mix well.
- place the cacao dough on top of the white dough to the tin and add the remaining white dough on the top.
- take a fork and mix slightly so the dough get a nice structure
- bake for 45 to 60 min
- Glaze the cake with chocolate, icing sugar or any icing you like.