16 April, 2017
Tiramisu Sponge cake roll
For our Easter tea with friends I made this sponge cake roll. Nothing traditional for Easter but easy to make and a great taste.
This roll has 3 components:
The sponge cake, an simple biscuit cake, rolled up when it comes out of the oven.
The sponge is soaked with some coffee.
The filling is a mascapone cream with almond flavor.
You can use alcohol like Amaretto or a nut liquor, but as we had some children coming for tea, I made it without alcohol and with decaf coffee.
The highlight for children were the Amarettini cookies (amaretti biscuits). I got them from the Italian Supermarket.
The cake is baked on a 36×28 cm silicon baking tray. After it comes out of the oven I turned it over on a towel dusted with sugar and rolled up in the towel while hot. You need to let it cool down in the towel and then just before filling unroll it.
- 6 eggs
- 170g all purpose flour
- 100g sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g amaretti cookies, crunched in small pieces
- 4 tbsp cold coffee
- 1 tsp almond essence or 2 tbsp liquor
- 400 g Mascapone cheese
- 400 g cream
- 30 g sugar
- 9 g gelatin
- 2 tsp almond essence or 3 tbsp liquor
- some cocoa for dusting
- some amaretti cookies
- Preheat your oven with two sided heat. Do not use convection as it will dry out your sponge.
- Separate the egg white and the yolk and whip the white until it forms peaks.
- Mix the egg yolk with the sugar and whisk until it is creamy.
- Add the egg white and the flour and cookie crumble to the creamy egg and slightly mix it until it is incorporated but not to much.
- Spread the dough on a flat baking tray, lined with some baking paper.
- Bake at 200C / 430 F for 10 minutes.
- While it is baking prepare a clean tea towel on a surface and dust some sugar on top of it.
- Once the cake is ready turn it over on the sugar surface and remove the baking paper.
- Roll up the hot cake with the towel and let it cool down.
- Whisk the cream until it is thick and creamy.
- Bloom the gelatin and heat it so it slightly until it is dissolved.
- Whisk the Mascapone with the sugar and the vanilla until it is creamy, add the almond essence or liquor, the gelatin and the cream.
- Mix all until it a nice smooth cream.
- Unroll the cake and drizzle the coffe almond mix on the inside of the cake.
- Top the cream on it and spread equally. Leafe some cream over for the outside.
- Roll the cake to a roll using the towel and pace on a plate.
- spread a thin layer of cream over the roll and dust it with some cocoa powder.
- Fill rest of the cream in a piping bag and decorate the roll. Put some cookies as decoration on top.