16 October, 2017
What to bring to a party? and even when it is an Octoberfest party?
I decided to make some traditional brezels.
Brezels get their taste and color from a bath in lye. You can use baking soda dissolved in warm water as lye, but that does not give them the same touch as traditional ones. I used Sodium hydroxide. This is a dangerous chemical, but during the baking process it will be neutralized. When bathing the brezels in this lye you need to be very careful. Always ware gloves and some safety glasses.
This recipe is great for preparing the day before, as the dough needs to rest over night.
I made three different shapes out of the same dough. I made brezels, buns and some bites. For the bights I shaped longer sticks which I cut into smaller pieces after the bath in the lye.
- for the dough
- 340 g all purpose flour
- 2 g instant yeast
- 7 g salt
- 175 g water
- 15 g Pork Lard
- for the lye
- 1 l water
- 30 g sodium Hydroxide Warning ! , this is a dangerous chemical !!! )
- Or 40 g baking soda
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt and water and on low speed in the kitchen machine for 5 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and mix for another 5 minutes.
- Add the lard and mix further 10 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Divide the dough into 90-100 g pieces and shape Brezels out of it.
- Place on Baking Paper and let rest, cover with some foil.
- About an hour before baking, uncover the brezels so they can develop a skin.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 390F
- Put on gloves and some safety glasses
- Add the lye powder to the water and stir until dissolved. Let settle for some minutes.
- Prepare a baking try with baking paper and oil the paper I used a baking spay. Otherwise they will stick to the paper.
- Sprinkle with some salt and cut the thicker bottom part of the brezel.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.