27 May, 2018
Red Wine Cake – Rotweinkuchen
I had some red wine left and remembered a cake we had often in the 80ties and 90ties.
This cake is a chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it. But it also contains red wine instead if milk.
WARNING: I have to put a warning up here. This cake contains alcohol. I am not sure if all of the alcohol will be gone after the baking process. It can be that the baked cake still contains some alcohol.
I looked for an traditional recipe and changed it a little bit. Mainly I reduced the sugar.
- 4 eggs
- 200 gr butter, melted and hand warm
- 150 gr sugar
- Vanilla extract, / essence
- 250 gr all purpose flour
- 2 tblsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tblsp ground almonds or nuts
- 125 ml red wine
- 150 gr small chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 175 C (350F)
- beat the eggs in a lrge bowl, I used a hand mixer
- add sugar and vanilla and beat until they are nice creamy
- slowly add the hand warm melted butter and keep mixing.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry mix and wine to the egg and mix carefully until a smooth dough develops.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- fill the dough into a buttered and ground almond/ nut scattered tin.
- Bake for 45 to 60 min or until the knife / pin test shows the cake is good. (depends on shape of the tin)
- Dust with some icing sugar or with a glaze out of icing sugar and red wine.