10 September, 2017
Black Forest Loaf – Sourdough Rye
This bread is a typical dark rye bread with 1/3 of the rye flour fermented in a sourdough. It is a big loaf with a thick and dark crust.
This bread uses two different pr dough’s. One sourdough with rye flour and a yeast dough with wheat flour.
I mixed it by hand, as most household mixers are not large enough for the amount of dough. And hand mixing is the traditional method for this kind of bread. It does not need a lot of mixing, it is more to ensure all four is hydrated properly,
For this bread I used some bread spices as well. I mixed them in advance of the bread.
5 tsp Caraway seeds
3 tsp Aniseed
2 tsp Fennel seeds
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
I ground everything in a stone grinder and store this in a air tight jar.
Please accept YouTube cookies to play this video. By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
- 200g high grade wheat flour
- 200g water
- 2g dry instant yeast
- 570g Rye flour
- 600g water
- 60g sourdough starter
- Wheat pre dough
- 1020g Rye flour
- 230g high grade wheat flour
- 5 - 10g dry instant yeast (optional)
- 40g salt
- 5g bread spice
- 600g water
- Prepare the pre doughs by mixing the ingredients in separate bowls and let rest for about 16-24 hours
- mix all ingredients in a large bowl until all flour is well hydrated.
- Let rest for about 2 hours
- Preheat oven with a stone to 250C / 480F. Place a iron cast form at the bottom of the oven to create some stream.
- Get dough out of the mixing bowl on a flour dusted surface and degas a little bit. Do some fold until forming a round loaf.
- Let rest for another 30 min
- Put bread in oven and pour some water in the iron form.
- Bake for 10 min at 250C/480F and reduce then to 200F / 390F and bake for another 60-75 minutes.